Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Nat in Bawstin (Boston)

Jim had to go to Montreal for a conference, so I went to MA to visit Marina and Karsten. I have been to Boston in October 2001 but getting there at this time of the year was quite a challenge - it was very very cold! For the days I stayed there I had nose bleeding, felt like Cosmo Kramer, though I didn't go to Mom and Pops shoe shop.

Marina and Kasi live in a wonderful area of Somerville. I liked it a lot there. Great neighborhood, very European, everything in walking distance and only ten minutes to the City of Boston.

The first day I went with Marina to MIT and spent some time in the libary. All those smart people around me - wow I had so many One-Million-Dollar-Ideas while sitting there, but somehow forgot them as soon as I was outside to take care of my nose bleeding.

After that we visited the Cambridge Brewing Co. which is just awesome - all beers are above average and I had a great time there chatting with Marina and eating a big bowl of housemade nachos.



Later that evening the three of us had nice dinner in a Tibetian restaurant.

Saturday started with a long and good breakfast. We went to Boston and walked half of the Freedom Trail.



It was really fun and interesting, and I found it even better the second time around, as I had the feeling I recognized a lot of other stuff I missed the last time. For example the explanation how it comes that the Republicans use the Elephant as their symbol and the Democrats the Donkey. Marina made sure that the Donkey run - yeah, man, THINK BLUE - go little Donkey, go!



After visiting the Paul Revere House we went to the John Harvard Brewing Co. and had a sample there. After that we rested for an hour before we made our way to Redbones. Redbones is a great Bar and Restaurant. The food is good, the beers on tap rock - at that time they had 26 Beers from all over the country and ...Jever from North Germany, on tap. We met Hector and Mark from Ratebeer - which was really nice.




It was really interesting as we were all very different, people couldn't be any more different in life style, experience and political opinions. But the great thing was, that we all were able to have a civilized and highly interesting controversial conversation. I really enjoyed that evening a lot - Marina and I also enjoyed the beers that evening a lot.
We weren't doing too good the next morning - heh, but at the end of the evening, the alcohol gave us a great thick Bawstin accent and we pahked ourselfes in the behd.

Thanks Marina and Kasi for having me! It was great!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home