Sunday, December 04, 2005

Typical attitude of my fellow country men and women

Here are two episodes from the last two weeks that I find extremely typical for Germans.

Florist:
Jim and I are invited to some friends in the afternoon and we stop at the main train station on a sunday to buy some flowers to bring to the hosts. It is one of those fancy shmancy florists where you wonder if the prices are for the whole store or just for this one little flower in your hand.
So I see those little tiny cute little flowers I have never seen before - and actually I will never buy again as I just learned that they are a protected species - the so called Christmas Rose. In a bundle of 10 they are in a bucket which has a price tag over it, saying: "10 for 2,50 EUR". Ok - as they are so tiny, I pick up two, turn around and see about one meter away another bucket, same flowers, same size, but bigger bundles and the price tag says: "20 for 2,50 EUR". Oh ... well that's easy, though wondering - I put back the two 10-bundle flowers and get one bundle of 20 flowers.
I go into the store I want to pay and voila - there it is: another bucket - with tag: "25 for 2,50 EUR". So I tell the lady at the cashier that I'm wondering about this whole thing and she looks at me as if I'm a little stupid, saying: "Why - what is not understandable about it." Ok - she got me, so I say: "Well, right now I have 20 for 2,50 EUR but I made up my mind, I want five extra - what is the price?" She says "3,00 EUR as I have to charge you five more and they are 10 Cent a piece!" "AHA - so why is a bundle of ten 2,50 EUR but ten singles 1,00 EUR?" She goes out, looks at the buckets comes back in, says that everything is right. She looks at me as if I'm mad as I put down the 20-piece bundle and pick up the 25-piece bundle. I give her 2,50 EUR, bite my tongue and as I leave she gives me the words "Yes, sometimes you need an university degree in math to buy flowers!" on the way out.

Concert:
Jim and I were invited to a classical concert - The Guarneri-Trio from Prague. Somehow we managed to screw the time up. We were thinking it starts at 8 pm but it did start at 7.30 pm which is when we left the house. So we ran out of the house trying to find a taxi, and got there at 7.40 pm. First piece is already over. So, we had to wait till the next break in the music to get in. After the first half, we finally meet up the people who gave us the tickets to the concert, who are seated right behind us. They tell us that the second the concert started an older couple set down on our seats. That's ok, they are pretty good seats and I can understand - but now we are there. Before the second half began, the man who sat in our seats started bickering "Are those really your seats, can I see the tickets? Where have you been, why are you coming now?" Raised eyebrow and I think "Well you old fart, this is none of you business" and I say "Sorry, that we are late, we couldn't make it on time, but now we are here and would like to sit down on the seats we bought, your seats seem to be still free." His wife sat on their actual seat already waving to her husband to come to her. He repeats himself and when he says: "This is against the rules of the game!" Well Mr. Smarty Pants - the law of game is that you wait until the break. If the people then don't show up then this is your seat. And the law of the game is, that you are not asking people you don't know what they have done or why they are late.

2 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger emily said...

Do you have any nice examples of typical German behavior? Are all Germans rigid and stubborn? =) heehee just kidding!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger arianered said...

ich hab die lösung zur blumengeschichte.
wenn man nur 10 blumen kauft, dann will man jede einzelne blume mehr, jede einzelne ist wichtiger, wertvoller - sagen wir mal euro 0,25.

wenn man 20 blumen kauft muss sich die liebe auf viel mehr blumen verteilen, die einzelne blume wird weniger wertvoll - sagen wir mal euro 0,125.

und bei gaaanz vielen blumen, 25 oder so, kann man jede blume nur noch für euro 0,1 lieben.

das mit den euro 2,50 hat sich quasi zufällig so ergeben.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home